Do you want to give your lungs a little break? Using marijuana is one of the quarantine coping methods currently. Since cannabis is legal in several states, why not try a different kind of high?
How to Make Weed Tea, also known as marijuana tea, cannabis tea, and ganja tea, is a great and soothing way to ingest cannabis without vaping or smoking.
However, if you think that the recipe involves throwing the marijuana buds in hot water will do the job, you might be wrong there! You need the right recipe and precision to achieve the desired effects.
That’s what we are going to teach you today, “how to make weed tea to experience mind-expanding and relaxing effects.”
But before jumping on this topic, let’s explore the basics first!
Why Drinking Cannabis Is a Great Option?
Cannabis drinks, such as kombucha, cocktails, and coffees, and teas are becoming popular because they are inexpensive, easy to use, effective, and give pleasant effects in the comfort of your home.
Moreover, marijuana-infused tea helps you cut down the high amount of fat and sugar that you consume from various other beverages and edibles. The herbal remedy only delivers cannabinoids from the buds.
Ways for Making Cannabis Tea
You can make weed tea by using various ingredients according to your personal preferences. Furthermore, you can brew marijuana in different ways to get the desired strength you want to achieve.
The effects can vary from mild if you wish to feel calm and soothing effects to strong if you want to experience those psychoactive effects similar to smoking.
Here a few ways in which you can make your cannabis tea:
- Brewing dry marijuana flower with water (delivers mild effects)
- Infusion of butter, coconut oil, etc., with cannabis, tea leaves, and water to create a beverage similar to a latte.
- Mixing a cannabis tincture into the tea.
Advantages of Marijuana Tea
Since you have to drink, it does not involve vaping, joint smoking, or any other inhalation method. Drinking tea is easier for people, especially those who have respiratory problems like asthma. Plus, it does not irritate the throat.
Moreover, drinking marijuana tea prevents people from inhaling the chemical used in various vape products that can harm your health.
If we talk about its health benefits, cannabis can resolve several symptoms like inflammation, migraines, depression, Parkinson’s, and Alzheimer’s disease. Plus, THC can suppress vomiting, nausea and increase appetite.
Another benefit of this herbal tea is its high! It produces a longer high when consumed as compared to inhalation. The long high is beneficial for those who are consuming marijuana for wellness or medical purposes.
Does Weed Tea Have the Potential To Make You High?
Whether marijuana tea will make you high or not, you will have to understand the notable difference between CBD, THCA, and THC.
In raw marijuana, THCA is present – a compound that will not make you high. Decarboxylation is necessary to achieve the psychoactive effects. It is a chemical process in which marijuana is heated slowly at a very low temperature.
As a result, this triggers THCA to release its carbon dioxide and converts itself into THC. Thus, this activated THC will make you high.
While decarboxylating your cannabis before adding it into the tea, keep in mind that the temperature and time will vary because of the following factors.
- The product’s moisture content
- The amount of product you are using
- The kind of oven you own
Moreover, the other condition in which you can achieve the high is to select the cannabis Sativa strain. These buds have a high THC content and are ideal for making the perfect THC tea. This cannabinoid is the one people love because of its mind-blowing effects.
Marijuana tea will also deliver the psychedelic experience if you prepare it with fats like fatty oil or butter. Why is this so? Because THC is fat-soluble, and it increases the tea’s strength.
In contrast, if you use industrial hemp or CBD buds for making tea, you will not get high because of its low THC content.
In short, the THC-heavy strain will deliver the high you crave and the decarboxylation method. For no or mild psychoactive effects, CBD will be the best for making tea.
How Fast Does Weed Tea Take to Effect?
In comparison to smoking or vaping, weed tea will take longer to kick in. Why? Because when you ingest weed tea, the stomach will digest, the liver will metabolize, and the body will absorb it.
While smoking, these cannabinoid compounds go into the lungs and get directly absorbed into the bloodstream. So you see the difference here.
What’s more, the digestion time may vary among individuals due to multiple factors such as hydration level, metabolism speed, and body weight.
You will feel the THC tea effects anywhere between thirty minutes to two hours after consuming. Plus, its effects last around four to eight hours.
Always remember when you are consuming marijuana tea, go slow. It is better to wait for its effects after drinking a cup. This will prevent overdose. However, if you do not feel anything, you can always go back to the kitchen to make yourself another cuppa.
How to Make Marijuana Tea – A Few Recipes
Below are some marijuana tea recipes that you can make according to your interest and needs. The recipes will teach you how to make cannabis tea of different strengths.
How to Decarboxylate Cannabis for a Strong High?
There are two techniques for decarboxylating cannabis to experience the psychoactive effects easily. Following these ways will give you the strong punch you crave so much.
Decarboxylation is called “decarbing” or “decarb,” which is done via an oven or in a mason jar.
Decarbing Via an Oven
When using an oven, always remember that the temperature always fluctuates, and it is never exact. So if you see your cannabis is producing a burning smell or the color is becoming brown, turn the temperature down.
To decarboxylate your cannabis using an oven, these are the following steps you should follow:
- Set your oven to 107 degrees celsius
- Slide your oven rack in the middle of the oven
- Cut the aluminum foil piece about the baking sheet’s size. Slightly crumple it and place it on the sheet.
- Break the marijuana buds into small pieces. A size smaller than the rice’s size will increase the risk of burning.
- Spread the cannabis pieces on to the crumpled up foil.
- Place another foil piece on the top.
- Bake these marijuana buds for forty-five minutes after placing the sheet in an oven.
- Remove the sheet from an oven when the cannabis becomes slightly toasted and looks golden brown. Allow these buds to cool at room temperature for about thirty minutes.
- Once cooled completely, and you can touch it easily, store this baked cannabis into a container so that you easily use it later.
Decarbing in the Mason Jar
This method is somewhat more reliable because it reduces the risk of burning cannabis, and it minimizes strong odors that usually occur when heating the cannabis in the oven.
The steps for decarboxylating marijuana are as follows:
- Set your oven between 104 and 115 degrees celsius.
- Slide your oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- Break the cannabis into smaller pieces, and they should be about the rice’s size.
- Take the mason jar, put the marijuana pieces, and screw the lid lightly.
- Lay the damp kitchen towel over your baking sheet.
- Place the mason jar on top of the towel. It will prevent the jar from rolling around or falling over.
- Let it bake for approximately sixty minutes. After every fifteen minutes, gently remove the jar and shake it to disperse the marijuana evenly.
- Once the sixty minutes are up, take the mason jar out from the oven.
- Before using or storing them in the container, allow the cannabis buds to cool at room temperature for thirty minutes.
Three Easy Ways to Make Cannabis Tea
Weed Tea With Chamomile and Rose (Very Mild)
The combination of flowers and ground cannabis will wash your worries away. This recipe does not include anything that will dissolve THC, and you will not decarboxylate marijuana. Thus, you will experience minor effects.
To make this herbal tea, these are the ingredients you will need.
- Cannabis buds, stems, trim – 2 teaspoons
- Dried rosebuds – 2 teaspoons
- Dried chamomile – 2 teaspoons
- Cannabis-infused honey or any sweetener (optional)
- In a tea infuser, add the flowers and the cannabis.
- Steep these ingredients in hot water for about five to ten minutes. This time limit will not decarboxylate cannabis.
- Cool the tea slightly and pour it into the cup.
- Add sweetener of your choice, but mainly cannabis-infused honey is recommended.
Weed Tea with Stem Tisane/Weed Leaf (Mild)
This herbal blend is perfect for anyone who wants to relax after a tiring day or eliminate anxiety. This recipe contains half and half, and since it has around 10 to 18% percent of fat, it allows some amount of THC to get absorbed into the tea.
To make this soothing hot tea, you will need the following ingredients.
- Marijuana leaves/stems – 2 grams
- Water – 2 cups
- Half and half – 1 cup
- Honey/sugar – 1 teaspoon
- First, place the weed stems into the grinder to extract additional THC from them.
- Now, take a pot, add water, and boil.
- Next, add half and half and marijuana stems into the pan. Stir this mixture for about five to seven minutes.
- Strain this tea into the cup. Add sugar or honey if you desire, and enjoy while sipping this soothing marijuana tea.
Weed Tea With Medicated Coconut Oil (Medium)
This marvelous tea is called “cannabis golden milk.” It is named because it is infused with coconut oil – a perfect ingredient rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Moreover, this tea delivers high, and it is a luxurious way to end one’s night.
Note: Since you are using cannabis-infused coconut oil, you can always increase or decrease the strength according to your tolerance.
Before making the tea make sure you have assembled all the ingredients to prevent yourself from missing out on any. Missing out on an ingredient will ruin the taste of the tea. Follow the instructions carefully for the best-tasting tea.
Ingredients for Cannabis-infused Oil
- Cannabis flower (ground) – 1 cup (You can use less quantity for milder effects)
- Coconut oil – 1 cup
Ingredients for Cannabis Golden Milk
- Almond or coconut milk (unsweetened) – 1 cup
- Cinnamon stick – 1
- Fresh turmeric – 1 (1-inch piece) Do not peel and thinly slice it. If fresh turmeric is not available, go for dried turmeric -teaspoon
- Ginger – 1 ½- inch piece (Do not peel and thinly slice it.)
- Black peppercorns (whole) – ¼ teaspoon
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Ground cinnamon
- Cheesecloth or strainer
- Hand grinder
- Small saucepan
- Double boiler, slow cooker
- We will start by making cannabis coconut oil for the tea. Place your cannabis flowers in the grinder and grind them. Make sure not to grind them finely; otherwise, the flowers will sift through the strainer.
- Place ground cannabis and coconut oil either in a double boiler or a saucepan. Cook these ingredients together on low heat for a few hours. Check from time to time to ensure that the mixture has not burned because it will destroy all the active ingredients.
- Strain this mixture. You can use it for two months or even longer if refrigerated properly.
- Now, take a small saucepan and whisk the following ingredients, i.e., almond or coconut milk, turmeric, cinnamon, peppercorns, ginger, honey, and one cup of water.
- Boil this entire concoction.
- Add cannabis-infused coconut oil after reducing the flame.
- Let it simmer for ten minutes, or cook it until you feel the flavors have blended well.
- Strain the tea into your favorite mugs and sprinkle cinnamon on top.
Easy Cannabis Tea
This simple herb tea includes butter; therefore, it makes this recipe ideal for those who want to experience some psychoactive effects and relax after a long tiring day.
Moreover, you can prepare this tea of any flavor you desire by adding a teabag of your choice in the last three minutes of preparation. This recipe will make two cups, but for one cup, half all the ingredients.
- Dried cannabis flower – 1 gram
- Butter – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 3 cups
- Sweetener of your choice (stevia, maple syrup, honey, or brown sugar will be the best option)
- Firstly, grind the marijuana flowers. You can grind them through a knife, mortar and pestle, and grinder. Make sure not to powder the buds by grinding them too finely.
- Take these ground marijuana flowers out in a bowl and combine them with butter. Ensure that it is evenly coated.
- Now, pack this weed mixture into the steeping vessel. You can utilize an empty tea bag or metal tea ball.
- Place this steeping vessel into the simmering water. Make sure not to boil the water; only simmer it for about thirty minutes.
- Turn off the heat and pour this mixture into the mugs.
- Stir in the sweetener of your choice. Voila! You’re done.
Cannabis-infused Tea (Chai)
This tea is the dynamic duo of saffron and cannabis oil. This perfect blend delivers a boost of anti-inflammatory properties. Plus, it makes your mood positive and soothes your entire body.
- Assamica black tea – 2 bags
- Water – 2 cups
- Half and half or fatty milk – ¼ cup
- Cannabis tincture or oil – 2 tablespoons
- Saffron rock candy sticks – 2 (for flavor)
- Boil water in a medium-sized pot. Pour it into two separate mugs.
- Put a teabag in each cup and allow it to steep for around two to three minutes.
- Take another cup and mix cannabis oil and milk.
- Discard the tea bags and pour the cannabis-infused milk into the cups evenly.
- Your cannabis-infused chai is ready! Enjoy the tea by adding the saffron stick.
Word of Warning
Before using hemp-derived products or CBD, make sure to check the state’s guidelines and laws. There are few states in the US in which CBD and its products are still considered illegal.
Moreover, it is essential to remember that most CBD products are sold with wrong labeling and are illegal. Plus, they are not even FDA-approved.
Not to mention, before investing, you should know the side-effects of CBD too. It can cause dry mouth, dizziness, and nausea. Furthermore, do not consume cannabis products with any blood-thinning medications because it can have a serious drug interaction.
Ending Note – How to Make Weed Tea
Cannabis infusion has elevated the enjoyment of tea time. With several recipes available at your disposal, you can try out a new recipe every day. The herbal tea provides various health benefits, and there is no reason to limit yourself from exploring new cannabis recipes.
Have fun making the weed tea! Which recipe will you try first?