Instructions – Instant Pot Cannabutter
Interestingly, making weed butter in a pressure cooker is pretty fast. It won’t take you longer than a few hours, unlike doing it on a stovetop, for example. And you’ll be dealing with hardly any mess – the most exciting part of this recipe.
So if you’re stepping out to the dispensary, only let it be for a quarter ounce of top-shelf buds, because you’re about to learn how to make cannabutter in an instant pot.
Instant Pot Cannabutter |The No-Mess, No-Smell Method
Instant Pot Cannabutter – How to make cannabutter in an Instant Pot – This method will cook faster than a Crockpot, hence the name Instant Pot Cannabutter.
½ ounce of your favorite weed
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- Decarb Your Weed
- Grind up ½ ounce of your favorite weed.
- Add 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) in the canning jar. You can use pretty much any fat you like. Butter and coconut oil are great for baking with. Olive and avocado oil make for lightly-flavored finishing oils for savory foods.
- Place ground weed in the canning jar.
- Place a canning lid and ring on the jar and close to finger tight.
- Place a canning rack or canning ring in the bottom of Instant Pot to elevate the jar off the bottom.
- Pour water into the Instant Pot until it reaches the middle of the jar.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot.
- Set to Pressure Cook on high for 40 minutes.
- When the cycle is complete, manually release the pressure. (Careful! The steam will be hot.)
- Don your oven mitts and remove the jar from the Instant Pot.
- Place the hot jar on a towel, cutting board, or other heat-resistant surface to cool.
- When the canning jar is cool enough to handle with your bare hands, remove the ring and lid.
- Don your oven mitts again and remove the jar to cool.
- When the jar and ring are cool enough to handle with bare hands, remove the ring and lid.
- Pour the cannabutter through a strainer or cheesecloth into a mixing bowl or directly into the half-pint canning jar (you may need a funnel for that) to remove plant matter.
- Feel free to squeeze the cheesecloth or press on the strainer to get all the butter, but you may inadvertently push some of the bad-tasting plant matter through.
- Put the lid on the storage jar and place it in the refrigerator to cool.
- Depending on the size of your Instant Pot and your jars, you can make a good bit of butter in one go without skunking up your kitchen.
- NOTE: Because the jar and its contents were under pressure, the butter may “spray” a bit when you crack the lid
- Bonus: The butter-soaked weed leftovers make a great addition to granola. Combine with toasted nuts, dark chocolate, and dried cherries.
Large glass bowl
Strainer or sieve that fits in the glass bowl
Lidded glass jar (to store the finished Cannabutter)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS – Instant Pot Cannabutter
How do you make Instant Pot Cannabutter
Place a canning rack or canning ring in the bottom of Instant Pot to elevate the jar off the bottom. Pour water into the Instant Pot until it reaches the middle of the jar. Close the lid of the Instant Pot. Set to Pressure Cook on high for 40 minutes.
Can you put too much liquid in a pressure cooker?
Overfilling may clog the steam-release valve or develop too much pressure. Don’t add thickeners. Pressure cookers work off the steam pulled from the liquid inside the pot, so it’s important that you don’t add thickeners like cornstarch or roux before the food starts cooking.
How do I cut the weed smell ?
Add a little vanilla extract to the boiling water in your cooking pot (add a little more every time you add more water) if the mason jar doesn’t reduce the smell enough for you. The vanilla extract will make your whole house smell like cookies, let alone your kitchen.
Can you make Cannabutter without straining?
You don’t have to strain at all but you‘ll obviously be left with cannabis bits throughout your product.
Can I use coffee filters instead of cheesecloth?
Cheesecloth is often used to strain stocks and sauces, but it can be hard to find and expensive. Here’s an affordable alternative using something you probably already have at home. Instead of cheesecloth, just line a mesh strainer/sieve with a coffee filter. All the solids are strained out, leaving behind clear liquid.
Can you make Cannabutter with margarine?
Margarine is a healthy substitute for butter, but because there are significant chemical and fat differences, it’s not recommended for cannabutter. If you do have to use a margarine substitute, try to find one that has high fat content. THC sticks to fat which means the simmering process will be much more effective.
Is cheesecloth the same as muslin?
Cheesecloth is a loose-woven gauze-like carded cotton cloth used primarily in cheese making and cooking. Muslin ( or ), also mousseline or Malmal, is a cotton fabric of plain weave. It is made in a wide range of weights from delicate sheers to coarse sheeting.
How do you strain Cannabutter with cheesecloth?
Place a cheesecloth-lined strainer over a large bowl and strain the liquid. Then pour a large kettle of boiling water over the full strainer to wash through any extra butter or oil clinging to the plant material. Allow the plant material to cool, then squeeze out as much liquid as possible before throwing it away
Can you make Cannabutter without Decarbing?
Before making your cannabutter, you‘ll need to decarboxylate, or “decarb”, the cannabis flower you‘re working with. Skipping this step will result in a weak or inactive finished product.
The butter will definitely cook faster than in a Crockpot, giving fresh meaning to the name “Instapot.” Still, you can make cannabutter with similar potency on the stove.
If you love cooking with cannabis but aren’t wild about the aroma it leaves in your kitchen, cooking with an Instant Pot might be the perfect solution.!
That’s it you’ve made your own Instant Pot cannabutter. Now it’s time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.